Week of 3/2 - Finding Our Way

For the past few weeks, we've been talking a lot about what exactly we want our game to be. There's still some things left to decide, but we've made some good progress. Our protagonist is a firefly, who wants to fly into space to meet the sun. This might just be possible thanks to something we find in the opening scene: an enchanted lantern. Our firefly enters the lantern and is then able to control as if it were its own body - we can float forward, backward, and jump up as the lantern. Other fireflies can then join us in the lantern. Our goal is then to collect as many fireflies as we can - in order to see if we can fly high enough to reach the sun.

In terms of game mechanics, we know that we want fireflies to add to our health, and our amount of health corresponds to the light output from our lantern. We know that we want a melee attack - some kind of punch or kick. We also want a long range attack, which will likely be a ball or ring of fire expanding from our lantern. We think this attack should also deplete health (and therefore light,) in order to balance out its power.

As far as actual programming goes, this week I programmed our camera movement to follow our player. This wasn't particularly difficult, I found a script I had created with my global game jam team and based my new script on that. In the game jam, our game only scrolled left and right, so for this script I had to add in vertical scrolling as well. After that, I started thinking about what kind of enemy I want to implement first.

Comments